- At The New Yorker, the case for banning laptops in the classroom (wait--I already did that). More on this from WaPo and Margaret Soltan. [Edited to add links.]
- Cursive handwriting improves learning.
- The MLA recognizes a jobs problem but touchingly believes that (1) 60% of graduates get jobs and (2) that jobs are going begging in museums, libraries, and nonprofits, all of which will snap up vast numbers of English Ph.D. graduates immediately if we can (3) lower the time to degree and provide different sorts of training without (4) diminishing the number of graduates.
- Quick quiz: which of these items is probably true? Answer: 3. Joshua Rothman at The New Yorker does a quick check of the MLA's math.
- Mad Men, although that may be yesterday's news.
Friday, June 06, 2014
A conference, some deadlines, more travel, a hectic week, and then some more deadlines. News I thought about writing about but didn't: