Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vacation (?) misery

I started work at 5 a.m. today and feel as though I should have gotten up at 4.

I'm in vacation panic mode, which means that I have to leave soon and have a ton of deadline-driven work still to do. I will have to take it with me, along with the books that there's no Netflix for. I will have to make trips to a library an hour away to supplement these instead of hanging out with family. This is my own fault, of course, so as an extra added bonus I get to berate myself hourly for not working faster and avoiding the problem.

If I could send an avatar away on the trip I'm supposed to take and let the real me stay here and work, I totally would. Can't they hurry up with that cloning stuff so that I can have another me to work?

Oh, and why do some academics only admit to "research trips" and travel to conferences during the summer? Did they spring fully formed from the head of the academy? Why do I feel as though I need to hide the family part of this trip and emphasize its work part, which will indeed include a conference and some travel to collections, when I'm describing it to others? Could it be that, like the Marines, academics value toughness and a total devotion to the Corps over family life?

2 comments:

Professor Zero said...

"Could it be that, like the Marines, academics value toughness and a total devotion to the Corps over family life?"

Yes.

undine said...

"the few, the proud," eh? I say bah, humbug to that.