Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Random bullets of the "Is COVID over yet?" semester

  • Answer: Ha! not even close to over. On the other hand, we can now get vaxxed AND boosted AND have good masks available, though few or no rapid tests. 
  • Also good: as Omicron spikes & Washington, D. C., declares a state of COVID emergency or whatever, MLA is allowing previously in-person panels to be remote. Most of us are grateful.
  • But remember Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada, saying "Please--it's just drizzling" as a hurricane raged outside and she demanded a helicopter to take her back to NYC or heads would roll because how dare a natural event keep her from something to which she was entitled? Yeah, some of the academics on Twitter who were all "Pandemic? what pandemic?" are disgruntled, and no, I don't care. It's a pandemic. People are dying. Hospitals are full.  Even the NHL canceled, for God's sake. MLA powers that be--Paula Krebs and the rest--if you're out there, thank you!
  • Teaching this semester (in person and online) was fine. It was really hard work but really rewarding, if that makes sense. I know they learned things, and I think they had fun doing it. 
  • Writing: not much to report in that sector. I'd say I spent about 80% of my time on teaching this semester, no lie. But I'm getting glimmerings of wanting to work on a new project and have ordered books.

4 comments:

gwinne said...

Oh boy howdy do I hear *all* this. I wasn't planning on going to actual MLA but might go to a panel or two of virtual MLA if Tiny Boy is occupied.

Sorta wondering when my own campus will follow Harvard, etc, in going remote for January.

Happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear from you....... these days silence becomes ominous feeling.
Hope your new year is peaceful, healthy, gentle.

Maya said...

I hear you. It was quite the semester in terms of teaching in person, and teaching was all I had energy for. I do miss the weird energy of MLA conventions--hope your online panels went well.

undine said...

Happy holidays, gwinne! I'm at virtual MLA & loving it. I hope your campus goes remote for January.