|An LFL heinously upholding neoliberalism.
But I came home after a full day and a long drive to see this on the news and on Twitter--on the traditionally slow "news dump" time of Friday afternoon:
- Against precedent of having the Justice Department vet pardons, Trump throws yet MORE red meat to his base and pardons the convicted Joe Arpaio.
- Hurricane Harvey is bearing down on Texas and Louisiana, drenching it in torrents of rain and wind so strong it's swaying concrete buildings.
- Trump disgracefully issues an order banning transgender service members, after the Joint Chiefs had individually indicated it's a terrible idea on so many levels--not just rights but fighting strength.
- He also might deputize school safety officers to enforce immigration arrests in the schools, where children are supposed to be safe.
- This is on top of threatening to hold U. S. hostage, via the debt ceiling, to pay for the ridiculous, racist, and unnecessary wall that he swore to the Trumpettes that Mexico would pay for. With no sense of irony, one of his cabinet said "It'll be like the Maginot Line." Uh, yeah. Ask France how that one worked out. Maybe they ought to go for Hadrian's Wall instead.
But what's most important? What's A#1 on the radical librarians' agenda this evening? (Google them if you want to. I don't want to give them the link.)
Little Free Libraries.
That's right, the little free-standing book houses where you can take a book and leave a book. Where little kids can get books for free (and so can adults). Where someone in your community cared enough to put the time and effort in to reach out to neighbors.
They don't solve the problem of inadequate library funding, say the rad librarians. True enough.
They make people feel good without a radical tearing down of the oppressive structures that enable systemic privilege blah blah blah and you can fill in the rest of this speech yourself. True enough.
But shouldn't a small good get the benefit of the doubt?
I'm tired of the false equivalence thing not only because in the media it gave us Trump (Hillary's emails! Hillary's emails!--remember that?) but because in giving equal weight to horrible things like white supremacy and the trans ban and things that just aren't quite correct enough, like the Little Free Library, we're squandering an opportunity. And with things the way they are, we don't have the luxury of wasting opportunities to set things right.