Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Technology in the classroom, Office style

This was at The Chronicle, so it'll probably be popping up on a lot of sites.
With tongue firmly in cheek, I offer this view about technology. Rule #1 of technology use (even before "what pedagogical purpose does it serve?") is that you have to be stronger than it is: mind over matter. If you're weak, it senses your weakness and refuses to work. A video clip won't play? A program freezes while the class sits and stares at you with amusement? You know what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Ink said...

I DO know. And it makes me SO mad because, to quote Williams Carlos Williams, "so much depends upon" it.

Bardiac said...

Yep!

Funny, though, I've never once had a book refuse to open! Is that because I'm strong, or because it's a deliberately cooperative technology?