Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Writing inspiration: random thoughts

Gwinne's post on writing had me thinking about the process (and also made me buy the Air & Light & Time & Space book), so here are some random thoughts:
  • It's still June! You still have a lot of summer left--really! That's it for the inspiration part of this post.
  • Doing all the home improvement stuff was a little like having a baby: your brain refuses to do much else for a time since the process is all-consuming. I'm slowing coming out of this and was able to send a long-promised revision today 
  • I don't know why this is, but if I promised to write something and don't want to write it, I have a really, really hard time even looking at it. This last instance took me about 2 months to write a couple thousand words that I could have knocked off in a week or two if I wanted to do it--but I didn't. It was in the middle of the house disruption, but still: there's a lesson here about promising things you're not enthusiastic about doing. 
  • All those authors who talk about "write first--walk later" must live in a much cooler climate than Northern Clime, where if you don't get out first thing in the morning, the temperature is in the 90s before you know it. Also, who can sit still first thing in the morning? 
  • This month is an experiment in writing without access to books--well, access to most of my books, anyway, since they're still in boxes except for two bookcases full.  How far can you go and how much can you write without a lot of books, using just online articles & books & information and what you already know? Time will tell. 

4 comments:

gwinne said...

I totally require paper and books! Let us know how the experiment goes.

And yeah home repair is all consuming... I'm there too

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

It IS still June! I keep feeling like summer is slipping away! But if I made as much progress EVERY day like I made today, I'd get everything done I ever wanted to do. I'm just not sure that I'm able to be as productive every single day, but I sure would like to be.

Z said...

It is so true about home improvement.

undine said...

gwinne--good luck with the home improvement project!

Fie--July now, alas!

Z--right? I don't know why it's so consuming.