Friday, August 24, 2007

Anybody else tired?

Well, the first week of school is officially over, and, as usual, I'm wiped out. This happens every year, and it never makes any sense: why should teaching the first week, when you have little or no writing to grade and less class prep than usual, be so tiring?

This is shaping up to be (crosses fingers) a good semester for teaching, though. At the risk of sounding like that old "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" commercial, I'm on a reduced load this semester: one section of a survey class I like to teach and another one, a new prep, on a subject area that really interests me. The bookstore even ordered the books I asked it to order, and mostly in the quantities I asked for, mirabile dictu.

I'd planned to go for a walk and then work tonight, but somehow, as the miles rolled by on the drive home, that plan grew less and less attractive. What did sound attractive is sitting on the couch, sipping wine and catching up on all the interesting blog posts I've missed this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiring, because one is not yet used to all the extroversion required. And you have to be especially extroverted the first week.

gwoertendyke said...

yes. very. first week of teaching, which amounted only to one day, kicked my ass.

undine said...

I think that's it, cero. All those profiles that ask whether being around people energizes or tires you (measure of introversion): I always choose "tires." adjunct whore, it kicked mine, too. I hope the next 15 weeks don't.