Friday, May 04, 2018
Writing inspiration: a self-interview with Hamilton lyrics
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait. Just you wait.
2. What's the next step?
Scammin' for every book I can get my hands on.
3. What do you want people to wonder if they see you around?
Why do you write like you're running out of time?
Write day and night like you're running out of time?
Every day and night like you're running out of time?
How do you write like tomorrow won't arrive?
How do you write like you need it to survive?
How do you write every second you're alive?
4. Any thoughts about those in universities who won't participate in various initiatives but then want to complain later?
If you got skin in the game, you stay in the game.
But you don't get to win unless you play in the game.
Oh, you get love for it
You get hate for it
You get nothing if you wait for it.
5. What about taking on some extra service now?
Lord, show me how to say no to this.
6. What about various university hijinks, like funding for athletics versus funding for the humanities?
It must be nice to have Washington on your side.
7. As you look at this heap of deadlines and projects, how will you ever get it done?
I'll write my way out
Write everything down far as I can see.
8. And then?
Take a break! Run away for the summer and go upstate.